HILL AIR FORCE BASE – In an effort to help everyone have a safe and enjoyable Halloween experience at Hill AFB, the 75th Security Forces Squadron’s “Pumpkin Patrol” will provide a watchful eye during the designated trick-or-treating hours of 4:30-9 p.m. on Oct. 31.
Security forces personnel, along with Pumpkin Patrol volunteers will walk throughout base housing wearing reflective vests to be easily recognized and will be equipped with a radio for quick response. Military volunteers are asked to wear their uniform.
Additionally, there will be an opportunity to assist the 75th SFS with:
• Handing out candy, stickers, coloring books, etc.
• Operating a lost-child booth
• Riding along with 75th SFS personnel on Utility Vehicles (UTVs)
• Staging at a Traffic Control Point to ensure pedestrians cross safely
SFS personnel are encouraging motorists to pay extra attention while children are trick-or-treating. Vehicle operators should watch for children in dark clothing and costumes once the sun sets and be cautious while entering and exiting driveways.
From costumes to candy, below are some additional safety tips to consider this Halloween:
• Use "flame retardant" labeled Halloween costumes
• Reduce the length of trailing material or tails to prevent tripping hazards
• If a mask is worn, ensure there is proper ventilation for breathing and visibility for sight
• Prop weapons, such as butcher knives or pitchforks, should have smooth tips and be flexible enough to avoid injury
• Firearm props must be identifiable as a toy and firearm props must have an orange tip
• Children are encouraged to carry a flashlight, glow-stick or wear something brightly colored
• Younger trick-or-treaters should always be with an adult
• For younger children, try pinning a slip of paper with the child's name, address and phone number inside a pocket
• Parents are encouraged to plan their child's route and set a meeting place in case a child gets lost
• Plan and discuss the route and return time for older children going out unsupervised
To volunteer for Hill’s Pumpkin Patrol, please us the following link: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10C0E49A5AF2DAAFBC34-45059708-pumkin or email Senior Airman Hannah David at email@example.com or Airman Micah Bowers at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more base Halloween information, please contact Police Services at 801-586-0067 or email email@example.com.
Hill AFB community members are encouraged to report any suspicious activity to Pumpkin Patrol participants and the Base Defense Operations Center at 801-777-6669 or 801-777-3056.