HILL AIR FORCE BASE, Utah --
As a result of poor snowpack and extremely low runoff over the last several years, Hill Air Force Base and many of its surrounding communities are facing significant water restrictions.
The water used on Hill comes from two sources, water produced from on base wells and water purchased from Weber Basin Water Conservancy District. In accordance with their drought response plan, WBWCD has reduced Hill’s secondary water allocations by 60% and its culinary water allocation by 48.6% overall. In addition, any water used above and beyond the allocation will be billed at 200% of the contracted value.
Approximately 60% of the base’s total culinary water is used for landscape irrigation, which is why culinary water was reduced by this amount. As a result, Hill AFB will be implementing the following water restrictions in order to ensure sufficient culinary water is available for indoor and mission essential needs.
- Secondary irrigation will not be turned on until May 15 and will be turned off no later than September 15. Once allocation limits area reached, systems will be turned off.
- Culinary irrigation systems will not be turned on until May 15.
- Irrigation systems will not be turned on in the 1200 area of the installation, where no landscapes will be watered.
- Irrigation will be limited to twice per week at the following durations:
- 10 minutes for pop up spray heads
- 20 minutes for rotors
- 30 minutes for drip systems
- Hand watering of established trees and shrubs once a week. All newly installed landscape must also adhere to these water restrictions.
- No hosing down of sidewalks or driveways.
- Car washing limited to once per week.
In addition to the water restrictions, grass holds more water when it sits longer, so base grounds crews be increasing the mowed height to 4 inches. All base employees are asked do their part to reduce water consumption across the installation and to report broken water lines, sprinklers, or over usage of water to the 75th CES Customer Service Desk at 75CES.Customer@us.af.mil and/or Base Energy Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.