Colonel Deron L. Frailie is the Vice Commander, 75th Air Base Wing, Hill Air Force Base, Utah. The wing supports the Air Force’s second largest installation by population and geographical size, which includes 24,000 personnel, the Ogden Air Logistics Complex, two fighter wings, and more than 50 partner units. The 75th Air Base Wing also has base support responsibility for the 1,500-square-mile Utah Test and Training Range.
Colonel Frailie earned his commission as a distinguished graduate from Louisiana State University’s Air Force ROTC program in Baton Rouge, La. He has served as a squadron commander twice, and a variety of other civil engineer assignments at the squadron, field operating agency, major command, Air Staff and Combatant Command levels. He has also deployed multiple times in support of Operations SOUTHERN WATCH, ENDURING FREEDOM, IRAQI FREEDOM and NEW DAWN.
Prior to assuming his current assignment, Colonel Frailie was the Command Engineer and the Chief, Plans, Capabilities and Access Division at U.S. Transportation Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
1997 Bachelor of Architecture, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, La.
2001 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2003 Master of Science in Architecture (Building Construction), Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, Va.
2006 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2010 College of Naval Command and Staff, Newport, R.I.
2010 Master of Arts in National Security and Strategic Studies, United States Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
2011 Air War College, by correspondence
2016 National War College, Ft. McNair, Washington D.C.
2016 Master of Science in National Security Strategy, National Defense University, Ft. McNair, Washington D.C.
2017 LOGTECH Advanced Program in Logistics and Technology, Kenan-Flagler School of Business, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, N.C.
1. July 1997 – July 1999, General Engineer and then Flight Commander, Readiness, 89th Civil Engineer Squadron, Andrews AFB, Md.
2. July 1999 – July 2000, Base Comprehensive Programmer, 51st Civil Engineer Squadron, Osan AB, Republic of Korea
3. July 2000 – July 2002, Environmental Restoration Program Manager, Air Force Center for Environmental Excellence, Brooks AFB, Texas (March – June 2001, Chief of Environmental, 332d Civil Engineer Squadron, Ahmed Al Jaber AB, Kuwait, Operation SOUTHERN WATCH)
4. July 2002 – December 2003, Student, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, Va.
5. December 2003 – August 2006, Instructor and then Chief, Engineering Management Section, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
6. August 2006 – March 2007, Military Construction Program Manager, then Chief, Command Military Construction Execution, Headquarters Air Force Special Operations Command, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
7. March – September 2007, Chief, Operations Division, Installations (A7), Air Force Forces, Combined Air and Space Operations Center, Southwest Asia (Operation ENDURING FREEDOM & IRAQI FREEDOM)
8. October 2007 – July 2009, Executive Officer, Headquarters Air Force Special Operations Command, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
9. July 2009 – June 2010, Student, College of Naval Command and Staff, United States Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
10. June 2010 – May 2011, America Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) Program Manager, Programs Division, Office of the Air Force Civil Engineer, Headquarters Air Force, Washington, D.C.
11. May – November 2011, Deputy Command Engineer, Headquarters Special Operations Command Central, Southwest Asia and Director (J7), Combined Joint Special Operations Task Force – Arabian Peninsula, Camp Syverson, Joint Base Balad, Iraq (Operation NEW DAWN)
12. November 2011 – June 2012, Military Construction Program Element Monitor, Programs Division, Office of the Air Force Civil Engineer, Headquarters Air Force, Washington, D.C.
13. June 2012 – June 2013, Commander, 8th Civil Engineer Squadron, Kunsan AB, Republic of Korea
14. June 2013 – July 2015, Commander, 30th Civil Engineer Squadron, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
15. July 2015 – June 2016, Student, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
16. June 2016 – July 2018, Command Engineer and then Chief, Plans, Access and Capabilities Division and, U.S. Transportation Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
17. July 2018 – present, Vice Commander, 75th Air Base Wing, Hill AFB, Utah
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Joint Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal
1998 Headquarters Air Mobility Command Colonel Frederick J. Riemer Award (Best Readiness Flight)
2004 Headquarters Air Education and Training Command/Inspector General Operational Readiness Inspection Outstanding Performer
2009 Air Force Special Operations Command Maj. Gen. William D. Gilbert Award Outstanding Staff Officer of the Year
2009 Society of American Military Engineers Regional Vice President’s Medal
2012 Pacific Air Forces Maj. Gen. Dean L. Fox Senior Military Manager of the Year
2012 Air Force Runner-up & Pacific Air Forces Civil Engineer Squadron of the Year (Small)
2013 Pacific Air Forces Civil Engineer Squadron of the Year (Small)
2014 Air Force Space Command Civil Engineer Squadron of the Year (Large)
2015 U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Military Conservation Partner Award
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 13, 1997
First Lieutenant June 13, 1999
Captain June 13, 2001
Major April 1, 2007
Lieutenant Colonel Dec. 1, 2010
Colonel April 1, 2017
(Current as of August 2018)