Published January 30, 2007
Allison V-1710-81 (F20R) Inline Engine
The Allison Division of General Motors Corporation in Indianapolis, Indiana, produced a variety of high-performance liquid-cooled aircraft engines during World War II. The design and development of their inline 1,710 cubic inch V-12 engine was initiated in 1930 and the first V-1710-A completed preliminary testing in 1932.
The F model of the V-1710 had considerably higher output, less frontal area, higher thrust line, and shorter overall length than earlier models.
The F20 variant produced 1,425 horsepower and came in both right and left-hand propeller rotation for counterrotating applications, such as on versions of the Lockheed P-38 Lightning. This right-handed version (V-1710-81 F20R) was used on the Curtiss P-40M and N Warhawk, the P-38, and the North American P-51A Mustang.
This particular engine was accepted by the USAAF on 29 October 1942. The Engine Repair Shops at Hill Field repaired and overhauled the Allison V-1710 engine during and after World War II.