Published September 26, 2007
North American F-100A-5-NA "Super Sabre"
Engine: One Pratt & Whitney J57-P-7 turbojet; 14,800 lbs thrust with afterburner Wingspan: 38 ft 9 in
Length: 47 ft 1 1/4 in
Height: 15 ft 8 in
Weight: 18,185 lbs empty; 24,996 lbs loaded
Speed: max: 760 mph at sea level; 852 mph at 35,000 feet
Range: 358 miles normal; 1,294 miles max
Service Ceiling: 51,000 ft
Armament: Four Pontiac M-39 20mm cannon (200 rounds per gun); up to 1,000 lbs ordnance
Cost: $664,000 (approximate)
This F-100A-5-NA, S/N 52-5777, was manufactured by North American Aviation in Inglewood, California, and delivered to the USAF on August 5, 1954. It was sent that month to the Air Force Armament Center at Eglin AFB, Florida. In December 1955 the aircraft was modified to JF-100A configuration and by May 1957 was flying with the 3595th Combat Crew Training Wing of the Air Training Command at Nellis AFB, Nevada.
The aircraft was modified again in June 1957, taking it back to F-100A configuration. It was transferred to the 152nd Fighter Interceptor Squadron of the Arizona Air National Guard in May 1958, stationed at Tucson. The following month it was sent to the 162nd Consolidated Logistics Maintenance Squadron (ANG), also at Tucson. In April 1961 it was returned to the 152nd FIS, which in January 1963 became the 162nd Fighter Group.
Finally, in May 1966, the aircraft was sent to the Ogden Air Materiel Area at Hill AFB and dropped from the active USAF inventory. Soon it was placed on display and used for aircraft maintenance education at Utah State University in Logan, Utah. In late 1981 it was carried back to Hill by a U.S. Army CH-54 Skycrane helicopter. The aircraft was then placed on display at Hill Aerospace Museum.