Published September 27, 2007
North American P-51D "Mustang"
Engine: One Rolls Royce (Packard) Merlin V-1650-7; 1,720 hp
Wingspan: 37 ft 5/16 in
Length: 32 ft 3 5/16 in
Height: 8 ft 8 in
Weight: empty 6,585 lbs; gross 11,054 lbs
Speed: max 437 mph at 25,000 ft
Range: combat: 1000 miles w/ 2 drop tanks; ferry: 1,600 miles
Ceiling: 42,000 ft
Armament: Six .50 cal machine guns; up to 2000 lbs ordnance
Cost: $51,572 (average P-51 unit cost as of 1944)
This P-51 was fabricated by Kal Aero, an aircraft restoration firm in Dulzura, California, at the request of the Aerospace Heritage Foundation of Utah. It was built using numerous P-51 parts acquired from several sources and was completed in 1992.
Funding for the aircraft's acquisition was made possible through a generous $250,000 donation to the Heritage Foundation by Ogden businessman Val A. Browning. The Heritage Foundation first placed the aircraft on display in the museum in 1993, but its official donation to the United States Air Force was not until 1996.
This aircraft is painted in the exact colors of Col. Chesley Peterson's P-51 aircraft when he flew with the 4th Fighter Group of the Eighth Air Force during World War II. It is named "Audrey" in honor of Col. Peterson's wife, Audrey Boyes Peterson.
This aircraft's serial number, 44-13371, was originally assigned to a P-51 in the 4th Fighter Group which was manufactured at the North American plant in Inglewood, California, and delivered to the US Army Air Forces on May 16, 1944. It was assigned to the Eighth Air Force in June 1944 and subsequently lost on a mission over Europe in August 1944.