C-124C "Globemaster II"
Published September 23, 2010
Douglas C-124C "Globemaster II"
Engines: Four Pratt & Whitney R4360-63A radials; 3,800 hp each
Wingspan: 174 ft 1 in
Length: 130 ft 0 in
Height: 48 ft 4 in
Weight: max: 216,000 lbs
Speed: max: 271 mph at sea level; 230 mph at 10,000 ft
Range: 4,030 miles (with 26,375 lbs of cargo)
Service Ceiling: 18,400 ft
This C-124C, S/N 53-0050, was manufactured by Douglas Aircraft Corporation at Long Beach, California, and delivered to the U.S. Air Force on May 4, 1955. The aircraft was assigned to the 15th Air Transport Squadron (Heavy) of the Military Air Transport Service (MATS) operating out of Dover AFB, Delaware.
On October 12, 1955 it was sent to Goose AB in Goose Bay, Labrador, to serve with the 6606th Air Base Wing, Northeast Air Command, then returned to Dover AFB on October 16. While still at Dover AFB in November 1956, the plane was transferred to the 1607th Flightline Maintenance Squadron (MATS), and then to the 607th Air Transport Wing (Heavy) in February 1958.
Hill AFB received this Globemaster II in June 1965 when it was stationed here with the 1501st Air Transport Wing (Heavy). In August 1965 the 62nd Air Transport Wing (Heavy) at McChord AFB, Washington, had possession of the aircraft, where it remained until November 1969. Its last Air Force station was with the 151st Military Airlift Group (Air National Guard) stationed at Salt Lake City Airport, Utah.
By June 1972 the aircraft was dropped from the USAF inventory and transferred to the United States Army. It remained at the Aberdeen Proving Ground in Maryland, serving as a storage facility. It was scheduled to be used for ballistic research, but in 1992 was acquired by Hill Aerospace Museum for static display. It is currently undergoing restoration by museum volunteers and members of the 28th LSS/MAS Historical Association.