Library Fact Sheets
F-102A "DELTA DAGGER"|
Printable Fact Sheet
Convair F-102A-90-CO "Delta Dagger"
Engine: One Pratt & Whitney J57-P-25 turbojet; 17,200 lbs thrust
Wingspan: 38 ft 1 1/2 in
Length: 68 ft 4 1/2 in
Height: 21 ft 2 1/2 in
Weight: empty: 19,350 lbs; max: 31,500 lbs
Speed: max: 825 mph
Range: 1,350 miles
Service Ceiling: 53,400 ft
Armament: Six air-to-air guided missiles; twenty-four 2.75-in unguided rockets
This F-102A-90, S/N 57-0833, was manufactured by the Convair Division of General Dynamics Corporation in San Diego, California, and delivered to the United States Air Force on June 4, 1958. It was immediately assigned to the 329th Fighter Interceptor Squadron at George AFB in California.
By May 1960 the aircraft had been transferred to the 82nd Fighter Interceptor Squadron stationed at Travis AFB, California. Portland, Oregon, would be the next duty station for the F-102A, when it was dispatched to the 337th Fighter Group in December 1965 and then transferred to the 142nd Fighter Group of the Air National Guard in January 1966.
The plane was dropped from the USAF inventory in June 1970, but made one more journey in the summer of 1983. Ten members of the 2952nd Combat Logistics Support Squadron from Hill AFB journeyed to Portland, disassembled the old fighter, and brought it back to the base for display by the Hill AFB Heritage Program.
The 2952nd reassembled and restored the aircraft for static display. When Hill Aerospace Museum opened in 1987 the F-102A was relocated to the museum grounds.