Hill Air Force Base   Right Corner Banner
Join the Air Force

Library > Fact Sheets > F-84G "Thunderjet"

F-84G "THUNDERJET"

Posted 9/27/2007 Printable Fact Sheet
 
Photos 
Thunderjet
Republic F-84G-25-RE "Thunderjet"
Download HiRes

Republic F-84G-25-RE "Thunderjet"
S/N 52-3242

Crew:   One
Engine:   One Allison J35-A-29 turbojet; 5,600 lbs thrust
Wingspan:   36 ft 5 in
Length:   38 ft 1 in
Height:   12 ft 7 in
Weight:   10,205 lbs empty; 22,460 lbs max
Speed:   max: 622 mph
Range:   2,000 miles
Service Ceiling:   40,500 ft
Armament:   Up to 4,000 lbs external nuclear ordnance
Cost:   $147,699

This F-84G-25-RE, S/N 52-3242, was manufactured by Republic Aviation in Long Island, New York, and delivered to the United States Air Force on February 10, 1953. The aircraft was immediately sent to Bergstrom AFB, Texas, to fly with the 12th Strategic Fighter Wing of the Strategic Air Command.

In May 1954 the aircraft was transferred to the 20th Fighter Bomber Wing with the United States Air Forces in Europe. It was stationed at Wethersfield RAF Station in England and also performed periodic assignments at Bentwaters RAF Station.In July 1956 the aircraft was sent to the 3600th Combat Crew Training Wing of the Air Training Command at Luke Air Force Base, Arizona. It temporarily served with the 3615th Flying Training Wing at Craig Air Force Base, Alabama, in October of that year.

The aircraft was sent in January 1957 to the 1401st Air Base Wing at Andrews Air Force Base in Washington, D.C., but returned to the 3600th at Luke the following month. Then in June 1957 the plane was transferred to the Ogden Air Materiel Area at Hill Air Force Base. That October it was dropped from the Air Force inventory.

The aircraft was eventually acquired from the government by the city of Midvale, Utah. It was located in a playground within Midvale City Park for the next twenty-two years, until it was brought to the attention of the Hill AFB Heritage Program. The Program Director initiated a request to the USAF Museum System to obtain the derelict aircraft for restoration and static display at the Hill AFB Museum. Permission was granted and the plane was acquired in 1983. The Heritage Program Restoration Club immediately began looking for parts and technical information required to completely restore the vintage aircraft. 

Throughout the rest of the 1980s and into the early 1990s work on the restoration proceeded very slowly. The assistance of the 419th Combat Logistics Support Squadron from Hill was eventually enlisted and the F-84G restoration was finally completed in March 1995. The aircraft was then placed on permanent display at Hill Aerospace Museum.








 Inside Hill AFB

ima cornerSearch

ima cornerAircraft

 




Site Map      Contact Us     Questions     USA.gov     Security and Privacy notice     E-publishing  
Suicide Prevention    SAPR   IG   EEO   Accessibility/Section 508   No FEAR Act