Library Fact Sheets
T-33A "SHOOTING STAR"|
Printable Fact Sheet
Lockheed T-33A-1-LO "Shooting Star"
Engine: One Allison J-33 turbojet; 5,400 lbs thrust
Wingspan: 37 ft 6 in
Length: 37 ft 8 in
Height: 11 ft 7 in
Weight: 15,000 lbs maximum
Speed: max: 525 mph; cruise: 455 mph
Range: 1,000 miles
Service Ceiling: 45,000 ft
Armament: Two .50 cal. machine guns
This T-33A-1-LO, S/N 51-9271, was manufactured by Lockheed Aircraft Corporation in Burbank, California, and delivered to the USAF on June 18, 1953. The "T-Bird" was immediately assigned to the 3580th Pilot Training Wing of the Air Training Command at Foster AFB, Texas.
In June 1954 it was transferred to the 3505th Pilot Training Wing (ATC) at Greenville AFB, Mississippi, then in August 1960 it went to the 3560th Pilot Training Wing (ATC) at Webb AFB, Texas. The aircraft was transferred to the Air Defense Command in July 1961, stationed with the 32nd Fighter Wing at Minot AFB, North Dakota.
In June 1962 it moved to the 5th Fighter Interceptor Squadron (ADC), still at Minot AFB. The aircraft was sent to the Ogden Air Materiel Area in April 1966 and dropped from the USAF inventory the following month.
It eventually was moved to the municipal airport in Logan, Utah, and became the responsibility of the Federal Property Control Officer at Utah State University. There it was used for training and familiarization of AFROTC students at USU.
In July 1982 the Federal Property Control Officer at USU notified the Defense Property Disposal Office at Hill AFB that the aircraft was now surplus to the needs of the university. That October the school was told that the Hill AFB Heritage Program would accept accountability for the old aircraft and make arrangements for its immediate removal.
In January 1983 the Restoration Club of the Heritage Program officially acquired the T-33 through the USAF Museum System as the first aircraft for the proposed Hill AFB Heritage Museum. On April 29, 1983 a three-man team from the 2952nd Combat Logistics Support Squadron at Hill was dispatched to the Logan Airport to determine the feasibility of moving the aircraft back to the base. Transport arrangements were subsequently made and the aircraft was brought back to Hill for complete restoration and static display.