Library Fact Sheets
F-80A "SHOOTING STAR"|
Printable Fact Sheet
Lockheed F-80A-1-LO "Shooting Star"
Engine: One Allison J33-A-17A turbojet; 4,000 lbs thrust
Wingspan: 38 ft 10 1/2 in (without wingtip tanks)
Length: 34 ft 6 in
Height: 11 ft 4 in
Weight: 7,920 lbs empty; 14,500 lbs max
Speed: max: 558 mph at sea level; 492 mph at 40,000 ft
Range: max: 1,440 miles; normal: 780 miles
Service Ceiling: 45,000 ft
Armament: Six .50-caliber Browning M-2 machine guns; up to 2,000 lbs ordnance
Cost: $64,096 (estimated)
This F-80 airframe was originally manufactured by Lockheed Aircraft Corporation and accepted by the USAF in the 1950s as a two-seat T-33A trainer. It was cut down and modified into an F-80A configuration by Aero Nostalgia, Inc., of Stockton, California, in the 1980s and was painted to resemble an early F-80A-1 aircraft, S/N 44-84999. The aircraft was subsequently acquired in January 1990 by the United States Air Force Museum System from Les Chapman of Blossom, Texas, in trade for 471 surplus aircraft tires. The plane was immediately assigned to Hill Aerospace Museum for static display.
The original F-80A-1-LO aircraft, S/N 44-84999, was manufactured by Lockheed in Burbank, California, and delivered to the USAF on May 23, 1945. It originally went to Muroc Field, California, but was flown to the Modification Center in Dallas, Texas, in June 1945. That November it was transferred to the 4000th Base Unit, Air Materiel Command, at Wright Field, Ohio, for experimental flight test support. From April 1946 to June 1947 it periodically went to Patterson Field, Ohio, for repairs and modifications. Like most production F-80As, it was retrofitted to F-80B standards.
In July 1947 the aircraft went to the 3502nd Base Unit, Air Training Command, at Chanute Field, Illinois, for use in technical training. Then in August 1948 it became part of the 3345th Technical Training Wing (ATC) at Chanute Air Force Base for ground instructional training. In June 1949 the plane was transferred to the 3750th Technical Training Wing (ATC) at Sheppard AFB, Texas, as a ground instructional trainer. In October 1950 it was finally dropped from the active USAF inventory.