Library Fact Sheets
CONVAIR T-29C "FLYING CLASSROOM"|
Printable Fact Sheet
Convair T-29C "Flying Classroom"
Crew: Two to four
Engines: Two Pratt & Whitney R-2800-99W Double Wasp 18 cylinder radials; 2,500 hp each
Wingspan: 91 ft 9 in
Length: 74 ft 8 in
Height: 27 ft 3 in
Weight: empty: 29,248 lbs; max: 47,000 lbs
Speed: 300 mph max; 270 mph cruise
Range: 1 ,800 miles
Service Ceiling: 30,000 ft
Cost: $990,000 (approximate)
This T-29C, S/N 52-1119, was manufactured by Consolidated-Vultee Aircraft (the Convair Division of General Dynamics Corporation) in San Diego, California, and delivered to the United States Air Force on January 13, 1954. The aircraft was immediately sent to the 3610th Aircraft Observer and Navigator Training Wing, Air Training Command, at Harlingen AFB, Texas, where it remained until January 1958. The plane's next home was with the 7625th Operations Squadron at Lowry AFB, Colorado, for training cadets at the USAF Academy.
In May 1960 the aircraft was sent back to Harlingen to resume work with the 3610th. The 3565th Maintenance and Supply Group, Air Training Command, at James Connally AFB, Texas, acquired the plane in July 1962, then transferred it in December 1965 to the 3566th Field Maintenance Squadron, also at Connally. The aircraft was reassigned to Mather AFB, California, in April 1966 and again in March 1973, where it was used by the 3535th Navigator Training Wing (ATC) and 325th Flying Training Wing (ATC) respectively.
Finally, in February 1975 the aircraft was dropped from the USAF inventory and sent to Davis-Monthan AFB, Arizona, for storage. The USAF Museum System eventually acquired the aircraft and it was assigned to Hill Aerospace Museum for static display. The Aerospace Heritage Foundation of Utah arranged with Western International Aviation, Inc., to have the aircraft prepared for one last flight to Hill AFB for delivery to the museum. The aircraft arrived at Hill on November 8, 1991. It is undergoing restoration by museum volunteers.